thierrry devaux

Lies about New -York

I never did really care about what people publish about me in the Internet. Nine years later, I am now seeing these publications are unfair and simplistic. I took the decision to talk about them in May 2010.

Internet Lies :

Even though I made four attempts to jump in the Statue of Liberty in eight years, the American authorities only come to understand my sport and artistic purposes after I landed on the Statue’s torch, on August 23, 2001. Accomplishing such projects in New York requires serious skills and strong energy. Disclosures about the lack of efficiency of the national landmark security will undermine the credibility of the New York people.

In my case, the police did a PR operation with the help of the media through a “perp walk”, a practice unknown in Europe. This beginning scheme led to the false versions across the Internet that completely neglected my artistic and philosophical approach in my jumping projects!

After I landed, the police held me during five hours in the office of the Ellis Island Rangers. They were organizing my “perp walk”, which would occur at 3 pm next to the tourist ferries and planned to be broadcasted during the evening news. “Perp walk” (in media lingo) is the police-organized short public exhibition of a suspect parading for the media, in order to influence the public opinion and ruin the public reputation of the suspect. The two most famous cases of perp walk were with Michael Jackson…

thierrry devaux

Later in the evening, I was still in custody when the press conference was held in the city’s official rostrum. The Mayor of New York himself was present. The police officers were in ceremonial dress. The official statement talked about the bravery of the police, the quick and difficult intervention… in order to avoid talking about my various stays in the landmark. An officer who tried to make a joke was reprimanded live by Mayor Giuliani, who didn’t want the New York authorities to appear careless. Media are found of “Perp walk” footages, and the news was constantly broadcasted before I could finally talk the day after. It was obviously too late for me, I had been had. In cases attracting media attention, the first one to speak says the truth and grabs all the attention. Confusions and mix-ups were already largely spread. A couple of hours later, the big media covered the event using the same false information, which then became absolute and irrevocable. Internet still stores this incorrect information, and ignores my artistic passions.

thierrry devaux

The Truth :

  1. I have never been interviewed by CNN!
  2. I have never been in jail!
  3. I was not required to pay the $ 7,065 fine!
  4. No, no, the police did not risk their lives when they intervened!
  5. I have not made two attempts on the Statue of Liberty.
  6. Stuntman: bad copy-paste of interviews. Despite the different English meaning, this term has never applied to me.
  7. I do not weigh 100 kg.
  8. No, no. I did not make a parachute jump from the Statue of Liberty. Nor from an aircraft.
  9. Daredevil: another vision of journalists without an interview. I am the opposite of that.
  10. Six years later, my website (now down) was still running.

Organization of the authorities

  • 9:15 am: Landing with my paramotor ultra-light on the torch.
  • thierrry devaux
  • 3:00 pm: Six hours later, rangers and policemen lined up with me in the entrance hall. Two policemen hold me by arms (the service exits are behind us).
  • 3:00 pm: The chief of the rangers, who has his back to the double iron door, asks: "Is that OK, for everybody? "
  • 3:00 pm: The doors open. All the cameramen already have their cameras ready.
  • 3:00 pm: Journalists hurl themselves at me over the free 50 meters.
  • 3:00 pm: Further away we reach the police boat which is not moored to the service quays but next to the tourist ferries.
  • 6:30 pm approximately: The authorities hold a press conference at the New York tribune.
  • 8:00 pm: My lawyer had not been informed; he discovers my landing in the evening.
  • 9:30 pm: I exit Federal Court without talking to the journalists.
  • 07:00 am August 24: First interview with my lawyer and the two police submariners who intervened on the Torch. Production queues us on air in 40 seconds. Suddenly, the two policemen get a very aggressive order from the authorities to leave the studios immediately without speaking in my presence.
  • August 24th: Other interviews.